Thursday 26 April 2012

Do you dress like a mom?




Hello everyone! Are you having a good week?

I am still in "blogiversary" mood. I thus thought it was particularly coincidental that today Mommish published an article about the appropriate, or not, dress code for moms. The one mom reporting, who defines her style to be "boho chic", indicates how women who wear matching jackets and skirts, nylons, and perfectly sprayed hair, scream "mother" to her. Yet, the same mom also writes that "it's still enviable that they can find the time and effort to want to look like they are going to a party instead of hearing a presentation on how maple syrup is made by a third-grade class."  I was reminded about what I wrote on repelling men and moms, and I realized the importance of culture for defining what represents a mother's dress code. According to the Italian dress code I was raised to, you should never wear sweatpants, at any age -- not just when you become a mom. Flip flops are another big no-no. I have also always worn nylons, and I do not own any pair of regular cotton socks (I borrow my husband's if I am going to the gym).

If "clothes are so psychological, they're like a second skin," as Penny Lovell recently told the New York Times, what are the other issues we discuss when motherhood and style are concerned? I did some research, and here is what I found.

  • What elements of your style were you willing to give up when you were pregnant? Pregnant women are often afraid of nail polish or dyeing their hair (I was one of them), but a mom says no.
  • At least a few times I wished kids' clothing would come in my size (I am looking at you, DVF for GAP Kids collection). In fact, just yesterday I tried on a pair of girls' white Ray-bans and cursed the fact they were too small for my head. Would you wear kids' clothing? If so, the New York Times reports that you may not be the only one.
  • Daughters are not keen in imitating their mothers' style, but the opposite is not the case, Livescience reports. Although here I agree with Jane Potrykus of Simple+Pretty, whom I just interviewed, that you should never be caught dressing like your teen daughter, I think things are different when you are a bit older. Just yesterday I was looking at the beautiful picture of Jane Aldrige and her mother on Sea of Shoes and I thought: I wish to be that mom at her age! And what to say about the inspiration behind Comptoir des Cotonniers, la mere, la fille et la mode?

P.S. Don't you just love the Vogue's vintage cover above? It would make a perfect Mother's Day gift (order from Condé Nast).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...