Thursday 27 October 2011

iPad handbags rising



Valextra iPad "Isis" clutch, available at the end of November

For me, it all started with Valextra. At the end of August, I read a small article about Valextra's new iPad handbag, launching just in time for the holidays. At the beginning, I thought it was a great idea, but then I started thinking when I could possibly use it. At work? I would not put my iPad in a handbag to take it two doors down to a department meeting, and for out-of-office meetings I need to carry more stuff than I could fit in it. During free time? If that involves my son, it is unlikely. If I am by myself, maybe. But for the going price of an iPad handbag (Valextra's retail price will start at 800 euros), I rather invest in a "proper" handbag. I thus shelved the idea and decided to stick with my Apple magnetic case.

Yet there must be a market for iPad handbags, because they are one of the latest hypes in the handbag department.

Dolce & Gabbana sequined pouch (1175 USD at Neiman Marcus)

Marc Jacobs quilted case (495 USD at Neiman Marcus)

Chanel quilted case (1555 USD at Chanel stores)

In all cases, these iPad handbags are big enough to hold your iPad and "your cell, compact, and small wallet", as the description of Dolce & Gabbana's pouch above indicates. For this reason, I am strangely drawn to Diane von Furstenberg's "Harper Connect day Bag". Instead of having to take out the iPad from inside the bag, you can just slot it in the special compartment at the back, which includes a special zipped-up flap. At 695 USD, wouldn't it just be easier to buy a regular bag though? Or is there maybe a use to this kind of bag that am I missing? How would you use an iPad handbag?

Diane von Furstenberg "Harper Connect Day bag" (695 USD at Neiman Marcus). Photo: Fooyoo.

P.S. If I you pull my ear and make me forget about all these issues, I would definitely go for the Proenza Schouler PS1 iPad clutch...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...