Tuesday 19 June 2012

What's your summer event season?




Hello everyone! What events are you attending this summer?

In early May, an email by Net-a-Porter reminded me that summer event season is approaching, and that you should make sure that "your wardrobe is stylishly prepared for every occasion." A couple of weeks ago, an email by Shopbop wished to give me a few more suggestions on the same topic.

Is it me or the events in most summer fashion ads are not for the average woman, let alone mom? I think we can all agree that the rest of us did not be attend the Cannes Film Festival and probably will skip the Serpentine Gallery Summer Party in London. How about music festivals, art openings and movie nights at the park? None of these three are on my schedule either. I anticipate I will rather have a summer packed with events of everyday family life: outings at the park, book readings at the local library, maybe a splash in the pool, a yard sale, biking around town, watching movies with friends at home, and organizing a baby shower for my best friend in Montreal.

All of this calls for off-duty dressing. What will it mean in practical terms depends on the weather we will find in Montreal, which can be quite erratic in summer. I can anticipate you what I will not wear: summer boots, one pieces under skirts, overalls, and shorts (remember this post? Whatever the occasion, they have become a big no-no for me). What I will definitely wear are summer dresses if it is warm, and chunky cotton sweaters with colored pants if it is a bit chilly. Add sandals and a pair of black patent peep-toes (if it rains), and voila. How about you?


Photo: Bill Cunningham at the New York Botanical Garden dinner dance on June 17.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...