Tuesday 24 January 2012

I don't know how she does it




Do you have a special ritual when you travel by yourself?

I generally try to catch up on everything, beginning with movies, passing through books and magazines and a beauty routine, and ending with... sleep. On the plane to Montreal I thus watched four movies (yes, four, the last one ended as we were landing). The first one was  "I don't know how she does it" with Sarah Jessica Parker, which I had wanted to see for a long time. The picture on the movie commercial had gotten stuck in my head: super-stylish working mom with two kids in tow. I had to see it.

The movie could have been about my life, if it wasn't for the fact that my job is more flexible and I do not have a boss who can force me to be away from my family. The slightly unrealistic part of it was the exaggeration of SJP's lack of style or care of herself. Heck, for the whole movie she toted around a Mulberry Alexa bag, one of the trendiest in her class, and she was impeccably dressed. One has to wonder how she found the time  :-)

The only part of the movie I did not like was the portrait of stay-at-home moms. From my experience most of them are not wealthy women who drop off their kids at school early so that they can spend hours at the gym or lunching with their friends. Even those who are wealthy enough, such as my mother-of-two best friend, do not necessarily do it, and decided to stay at home in order to be more involved in their kids' lives rather than to have more time for themselves.

If you did not watch the movie, go out and rent it! A must see.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...